As part of a research project on medieval whaling activities in the Netherlands and Flanders, Belgium, Zooarchaeology by Mass-Spectrometry (ZooMS) was performed on 40 medieval archaeological “cetacean” specimens from those regions in order to find out what species the specimens represented. Interestingly, a specimen from the early medieval site of Leiderdorp-Plantage was identified as belonging to a member of the Elephantidae family.
An annotated, amended and revised list of 18th century sperm whale stranding records from the North Sea, Skagerrak and Kattegat coasts: A ‘retro-cetological’ approach using searchable digitised newspapers
Searchable digitised newspapers, consulted to detect information on 18th century sperm whale strandings, revealed several hitherto overlooked records for the British (16), Dutch (1), Danish (1) and Norwegian (1) sections of the North Sea coastline as well as further details on already documented records and verified the species assignment of earlier only insufficiently documented records. A revised list of records is provided.
Fatal attraction: The death of a solitary-sociable bottlenose dolphin due to anthropogenic trauma in the Netherlands
The death and behaviour prior to death of a bottlenose dolphin (Tursiops truncatus) known by the name of “Zafar” created significant national and international public interest. The animal was first observed in the Netherlands on the 2nd of May 2020, closely following a boat from Brittany, France, all the way into the port of Amsterdam after passing the locks at IJmuiden. After a day of residency in the industrial port of Amsterdam, the animal was successfully lured back into the North Sea.
- NEM Verspreidingsonderzoek Muizen - De waterspitsmuis in Nederland - het waarnemerseffect
- NEM Meetprogramma Hazelmuizen - Meetprogramma Hazelmuizen: resultaten 2019 en aanpassingen nieuwe seizoen
- NEM Meetprogramma Vleermuis Transecttellingen
- NEM Meetprogramma Exoten
- NEM verspreidingsonderzoek Bever en Otter
- NEM Meetprogramma Wintertellingen vleermuizen
- NEM Meetprogramma Dagactieve zoogdieren
- NEM Meetprogramma Dagactieve zoogdieren Konijn
- NEM Meetprogramma Zoldertellingen vleermuizen
3D bone analysis for improving species identification: a case study on scapulae of selected small toothed whales occurring along the Dutch coast
Artikel in Lutra 61-2, 2018
Trefwoorden / keywords:
automated image analysis, bioinformatics, cetaceans, interactive identification key, Linnaeus NG, photogrammetry, harbour porpoise (Phocoena phocoena), common dolphin (Delphinus delphis), white-beaked dolphin (Lagenorhynchus albirostris).
- NEM Verspreidingsonderzoek Bever en Otter
- NEM Meetnet Dagactieve Zoogdieren (konijn)
- NEM Meetnet Dagactieve Zoogdieren (BMP)
- NEM Meetnet Zoldertellingen Vleermuizen
- Ingezonden stuk: Sfeerverslag Zoldertellingen Regio De Kempen (NB)
- NEM Verspreidingsonderzoek Bunzing Boommarter
- NEM Meetnet Hazelmuis
- NEM Meetnet Wintertellingen Vleermuizen
- NEM Verspreidingsonderzoek Muizen
- NEM Meetnet Vleermuis Transecttellingen
- Ingezonden stuk: Monitoring bever Habitatrichtlijngebieden